If you’re here for the cookie break, you’re in the right place! These cookies are easy to make, thoroughly delicious, and not overly sweet. Prep time is around 25 minutes. Toast and chop the almonds before you start making the dough. If you don’t have any brandy or Marsala around, use two tablespoons of honey instead of just one. Recipe yields about 24 cookies. Bake time is 8 to 10 minutes. We all love these with tea or coffee! Give them a try—and let’s make Aunt Rosie proud!
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour (that’s 1.5 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon of dark rum, brandy, almond liqueur, or Marsala wine
- 1 tablespoon of honey (use 2 tablespoons if you don’t have any of the above)
- 1/4 cup of orange zest (1 small orange)
- 1/2 cup of whole raw almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup of mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Two standard size cookie sheets
- Parchment paper or silicone mats
- Large mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Electric hand mixer
- 1-inch ice cream scoop or cookie scoop (the kind with a release lever)
- Wire cooling racks
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line two regular cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and butter at medium speed until fluffy. Add egg, and beat well. Add honey, rum (or brandy etc.) and beat just enough to combine. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating until combined. Add orange zest, toasted almonds, and dark chocolate chips, beating lightly to combine.
Using a 1-inch scoop, portion out the dough, then roll each portion with your hands to form balls.
Arrange 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake until edges are lightly browned, around 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on the pans for 2 minutes.
Remove from pans and allow to cool completely on wire racks.
These store very well in airtight containers layered with wax paper.
- Yield: about 24 cookies
- Prep time: 25 minutes
- Bake time: 8 to 10 minutes